This Personal Data Protection Notice (“Notice”) sets out how Sheena Valerie & Partners (“Firm”) collects, uses and protects your Personal Data which you have provided to the Firm. By engaging the Firm to provide its services or by accessing the Firm’s website www.svplawyers.com (“Website”), you hereby consent to the processing of your Personal Data by the Firm in the provision of legal services or the services that you have requested from the Firm (“Services”).
- The “Personal Data” that you provide or have provided to the Firm includes your name, date of birth, age, gender, race, nationality, marital status, contact details, address(es), email address, NRIC number, passport number, bank account information, insurance information, occupation, job description, employment details, your assets and liabilities, your personal preferences, particulars of your spouse or family members and any information which may identify you, your spouse or family members that has been collected, stored, used and processed by the Firm from time to time.
- In addition to the Personal Data that you provide to the Firm directly (whether when engaging us to provide our services or during any communication with the Firm), the Firm may also collect your Personal Data from various other sources, including without limitation, from online search tools, information obtained from third parties through lawful sources including but not limited to National Registration Department of Malaysia, Companies Commission of Malaysia, Insolvency Department of Malaysia, Local Authorities, Land Offices or at events organised or participated by the Firm.
- In respect of personal data of third parties such as your spouse and family members, you warrant that you have obtained their consent allowing us to process their personal data and that you will extend a copy of this Notice to them.
PURPOSE OF PROCESSING OF PERSONAL DATA
- By engaging the Firm, you hereby agree and consent to the Firm using and processing your Personal Data provided to the Firm, in the manner and for the purposes as described below:
- for the purposes of the Services;
- for preparing any document or instrument which may be required for the purposes set out in sub-paragraph (A) above and such other ancillary work in connection with sub-paragraph (A) above, including but not limited to, preparing the necessary contract or agreement or instrument to which you are a party, preparing court papers, pleadings and affidavits, preparing statutory declarations, preparing wills and codicils;
- to provide such necessary information to any regulatory or governmental authorities as required by statutory, regulatory or governmental requirements;
- for the Firm’s internal administrative purposes including historical and conflict checking purposes;
- for the Firm to communicate with you; and
- for the Firm to comply with its obligations under law or any regulations imposed by regulatory or governmental authorities.
- It is voluntary for you to supply your Personal Data to the Firm. However, if you do not wish to provide your Personal Data, the Firm may not be able to:
- provide you the services that you require; or
- communicate effectively with you.
- The Firm may also use and process your Personal Data for other purposes such as:
- to send you materials such as season greeting cards, news letters, articles, write-ups and other updates, distribute information of events, conferences, talks and seminars which may be of interest to you, and
- potential referees to editors / researchers in legal ranking publications and journals and potential clients who request for referees of past work in our credential statements, tenders and submissions,
if any, by way of email or mail.
If you do not agree or consent to the Firm processing your Personal Data for the purposes set out in this paragraph 6, please notify the Firm by contacting the Firm via the contact details set out in paragraph 12 below.
DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL DATA
- Your Personal Data provided to the Firm or obtained by the Firm shall be kept confidential by the Firm. However, it may be necessary for the Firm to engage third party companies, third party legal firms, service providers or individuals to perform certain services for the Firm or on the Firm’s behalf. In such event, you hereby agree and consent that the Firm may disclose and transfer your Personal Data to the third parties, within or outside Malaysia, including without limitation, as follows:
- banks and financial institutions;
- insurance providers;
- storage facility providers;
- despatch service providers, external advisors and other professional advisors such as auditors, accountants, architects, engineers, real estate agents, valuers and surveyors;
- advocates and solicitors of the other parties to the transactions or court proceedings of which you/your company are a party;
- the Firm’s agents, servants, contractors or third party service providers who provide administrative, computer, telecommunications or other services to the Firm in connection with the business operation of the Firm;
- the Firm’s employees under a duty of confidentiality to the Firm; and
- such other party as the Firm deems necessary for the purposes mentioned in paragraph 4 above.
- The Firm shall also disclose your Personal Data and transfer the information to any statutory bodies, regulatory bodies and/or governmental authorities where legally required to do so. The Firm may also disclose your Personal Data in good faith, if such action is necessary to comply with any government or law enforcement agency requirements, court orders or legal processes, or to protect and defend the Firm’s rights or property and the Firm’s personnel.
EMAIL AND WEBSITE
- Any Personal Data contained in the emails and “Contact Us” messages sent via the Firm’s Website to the Firm shall be used and processed in the manner set out in this Notice. The content of the messages shall be monitored by the Firm.
- If you do not wish for your Personal Data to be collected via cookies on the Website, please configure your internet browser to delete or deactivate cookies.
- The Firm’s Website may contain links to other sites and pages. The Firm shall not be responsible for any Personal Data or information that you may provide to other entity via the links.
REQUEST FOR ACCESS AND CORRECTION
- You may at any time hereafter submit your request for access to or request for rectification or correction of your Personal Data where the Personal Data is inaccurate, incomplete, misleading or not up-to-date (subject to the payment of an administrative fee, if applicable), or limit the processing of your Personal Data by the Firm, as the case may be, however subject to the exceptions and restrictions as may be contained under the applicable law. Should you wish to do so, kindly make all such written requests to:
Sheena Valerie & Partners,
Address : No. 526-B Taman Melaka Raya, 75000 Melaka
Telephone : 06-282 5779
Facsimile : 06-282 2114
E-mail : email@example.com
You may also contact the Firm via the above contact details if you have any inquiries or complaints in respect of your Personal Data provided to the Firm.
- Please note that the Firm has the right to refuse your request to access and/or make any correction to your Personal Data to the extent permitted under the applicable law. The Firm also reserves the right to refuse any such request where the information provided by you or any party making a request is insufficient to enable the Firm to positively locate or identify the Personal Data in question, where there is reasonable doubt surrounding your identity or the identity of the person making a request, where permitting access or correction would tantamount to a violation of a court order or breach of the duty of confidentiality owed towards the Firm’s client.
- The Firm reserves the right to amend, modify or update this Notice from time to time.